Monday, December 21, 2009

Where are the Wild things who run in the forest and the trees?

I recently watched 'Where the Wild things Are' at the IMAX, and honestly, I have to say that was one of the most emotional movies I have seen all year; and I have seen a good number of emotional movies this year (500 days of Summer, Paper Heart and Away we go, just to name a few).

Whether or not you have read the children's book that the movie is based on won't really matter much, as there isn't a whole lot of detail within the story books pages, but the essence of life from a child's point of view is beautifully captured in the feature film.

The deep connections the movie made with me, from its opening scene of a snow fort and snow ball fight, to the reactions of Max for the outcome, I felt like I was a child again, watching the events of my own life playing out on screen. While the story doesn't spell everything out for you, much in the way the book left most of it to your imagination, all of the details are there for you to know what it is like for Max. You don't have to be told what Max is thinking, because you are thinking it with him.

I can't say that you will have the same experience with the movie that I did, because everyones childhood is different, and some might have more trouble relating to the characters. As we were exiting the movie, the conversation of others illustrated that to me clearly. But if you want to spend a few moments in the mind of a child, have your heart strings pulled at frequently, and if your story is anything like mine, revisit your own childhood, then I recommend you see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment